Roofing & Repair Industry Cost Guide
The following is not a list of our costs but a approximation of average industry costs of getting your roof repaired depending on the type of roof and the extent of the damage to it will all be a factor in reaching a final costs.
its impossible to give an accurate cost to any job unless its seen and then if its not fully investigated you can end up underpricing a job if the job turns out to be more complicated which happens more time than we would like to imagine and then you end up with an upset roofer and a disappointed homeowner so its important to get it right when the quote and job is assessed.
Here are a list of typical price ranges you can use as guidelines but only a guideline, its important you get a few quotes to properly evaluate what to expect when you get your roof repaired.
When your roof leaks, the big question is always how much will it cost and for good reason. You should know that the longer you leave it, the more it will cost, an early leak repair has usually very little damage. Most Roofers will give you a free quote and the best option to repair or at least maintain it until you can fully repair it, see guidelines below...
The Avg. Costs
Average Roof Repair Costs in Dublin
The average roof repair cost is €920, owners/property management companies spend between €360 and €1,400. Most common small roof repairs cost between €220 and €400. Roofers charge between €40 to €70 per hour.
Roofing professionals should handle any large or complicated jobs. If you have any doubts about your ability to complete the job, call a contractors and get a quote.
Roof Repair Cost Calculator
|Typical Prices in the Range of||€350 – €1,000|
High End Prices
Your roof is arguably the most important sections of the home and properties, the roof, your Foundation and the Walls make life easier. Imagine a life without these, offices, homes and buildings would practically be inhabitable.
Roof Leak Repair Costs
A leaking roof typically costs anywhere from €150 to €220 for a small easy fix leak and clogged gutters etc. Of course, it is better for owners to repair some issues on their own. Larger more complicated leaks and be double to treble the above amount again depending on the extent of the damage.
Here are some common leaks and the usual cost to repair them:
|Problem that may arise – Home DIY||Cost of Repair|
|Broken or Missing Tiles||€30+|
|Cracked Venting System||€30 – €50|
|Skylight Leaks||€60 – €120|
How to Fix Common Causes of Leaks
- Cracked flashing: Lead flashing is the metal strip(6″, 12″ or 18″) that creates a water-resistant barrier between joints. Metal can crack or corrode from page or deteriorated over time.
- Broken or missing tiles: High winds can break or remove tiles. If broken, lift the shingle with a pry bar until the nails holding it pump up. Gently remove nails and old tiles. Replace with a new one and nail in place.
- Skylight leaks: Skylights can trap water and the frame seals can crack and form leaks. If there’s a problem, clean off debris and repair cracks with clear silicone sealant.
- Clogged gutters: This prevents water from flowing to your downpipes, causing it to pool, best practice is to clean these 2 times a year. Otherwise, clogged gutters will prevent rainwater from running off efficiently and ultimately damage even your foundation.
- The cost to repair a metal roof is €1,300 - €2,300 on average
- If removed and left improperly sealed, fasteners for panels or tiles can leave a point of failure in the roof
- Time can work fasteners loose especially where there is a lot of expansion and contraction
- Leaks between panel fasteners, loose seams can let water through
- Sometimes the seams can work themselves loose and allow water in
- Repairing an asphalt shingle roof costs €710 on average
- Lift up or blow off entirely in high winds
- Most tiles today can withstand 110 mph, but an improperly attached shingle can come off in low winds
- Strong storm winds can lift or remove tiles, loose nails can damage the material
- A weaker section of roof will anchor tiles if there is no nailing strip present.
Composite or Eco Roofing(synthetic)
- Repairing a slate roof costs €1,300 on average
- If nailed too tightly, edges can stick up and cause leakage problems
- Prone to ice-damming, when ice builds up and melts into your ceiling
- Expect to pay about €1,000 to repair a tile roof in the Dublin area
- Potential for cracked or sliding tiles to expose under laying of roof and cause leaks
- May leak from day one and allow water underneath tiles
- Heat damage is possible from the sun
- Galvanised steel can corrode and form holes that let water through
- New tile roofs cost much more than a repair job
Flat, Foam or Single-Ply Roofs
- Flat roof repairs cost €400 - €1500 for small repairs on average but may rise to 8.000 depending on the level of damage
- Sags can appear in flat roofs that cause water to pool, which eventually collapsing the roof entirely
- Insulation board can act like a sponge and trap water, causing mould growth
- Rubber roofs cost more to install than to repair on adv. €6.000 to €12.000 euro.
Fibreglass Roof Repair if you are looking for quality, there’s fibreglass, its effectiveness, beautiful it has a reputation of being a durable and long lasting material. Its nature is not suitable for some situations, but advances in materials in recent years have made fibreglass roofing more reliable and very durable. Costs are around €65 per s.q.m on domestic-sized roofs and should be able to last for about 20-30 years.
Garage Roof Repair Costs
The cost to replace a garage roof is about €1,000 -€5,000. The price vary garage roof repairs, depends on the size, damage and materials used. In general, you can expect to pay a bit less for garage roof fixes than for regular roof repairs due to the smaller square footage (which saves immediately on repairs and bills).
Fascia and Soffits Repairs
The average cost to repair fascia and soffits in Dublin is €1500 - €1800. Fascia is available in wood or PVC and costs around €10 to €30 per 8-foot board. Soffit panels cost around €20 for a 12-foot board.
Fascia and soffit are more than just decorative edging and an enclosed overhang. It protects the roof structure from the elements even animals namely birds. Fascia is vertical board that protects your trusses. Soffit runs horizontally and is a great place for insects and small animals to shelter.
Repairing Roof Trusses
Roof trusses cost €2.00 to €8.00 per square foot. These are the main structures that support your roof. Leaks often run along the trusses before dripping down onto your ceiling, so be sure to inspect this area for damage. Brown patches on the calling are the first signs of leaks.
If your trusses are drooping, sagging or moldy or if you have any doubts, call a roofer for an inspection. Some molds are dangerous, if not lethal, to inhale. The repair cost for trusses is difficult to estimate as damage varies quite a bit. If your roof truss is so badly damaged that repair is impossible, replacing them can cost thousands of dollars. Be sure to check them out thoroughly!
When cleaning your gutters. It can be time-consuming and messy job removing leaves etc. However, this job is one of the simplest things you can do to keep your roof protected, otherwise:
- They can trap water and deteriorate the fascia, the trusses, the underlayment/felt can start to fall apart.
- They leak or fall away from the house and allow water to pool up around your foundation.
The average cost to repair gutters can range from €120 up to €600 depending on the amount of damage. The average replacment cost of gutters is around €800 again depending on the size of the home and if you need fascia and soffit boards replaced and assuming the underneath wood structure is not rotten.
Where to Look for Roof Leaks
With many different roof styles that are made of many different materials, there are some common areas that are prone to leaks. The most common places to check for leaks are listed below: The list here is types material costs not including labour etc.
- Skylight: You can patch a skylight with a tube of clear silicone sealant. Broken or damaged flashing costs between €40 to €120. If left to waste away.
- Flashing: costs €20 to €60. The metal to protect the roof valleys age, corrode and crack ultimately causing leaks.
- Valleys Repair: costs around €40 for a 10-foot long piece. Angles formed when two sloped panels come together are valleys. Roofers cut tiles or slates to fit the shape of the valley. Badly cut valleys cause gaps that allow water under the tiles and drops onto your ceiling area.
- Chimneys: Chimney flashing costs around €40. Corroded flashing can cause leaks from your chimney..
Find out does your insurance, cover roof repairs?
Insurance companies typically cover some roof repairs. Insurance usually does not cover leaks caused by age, wear and tear, or a lack of maintenance. Each insurance policy is different, so be sure to read yours carefully. If your roof is damaged by a storm or bad weather, then most insurance will cover it. Best to ask your insurer for specifics.
These values are all approximate industry averages and not regarded as a quote, and you will need to get a specific quote to be sure of the expected final costs. Call us on 01 5176228